Monday, June 25, 2012

Road Trip: Marimekko NYC

Hello Monday!  My first weekend in Toronto after an incredible one in NYC was very relaxing: something I absolutely need to recharge and rejuvenate after a super rush loft project + a 4 days shopping marathon in the Big Apple.  To kick start my road trip NYC Spring 2012, I decided to show you a textile/pattern superhouse and believe me, with my obsession with patterns and colors, I was a kid in MY candy store!  Ladies and Gents, we are visiting the Marimekko flagship store in NYC.      


Marimekko is known its bold/bright colors, graphic patterns, and of course the legendary Unikko (poppy) print.  To a person who loves a wild play with colors, patterns in textile, the Marimekko store is a "must-see" in NYC.  The store offers its signature prints in apparel (both women and men), bags, pillows, fabrics by yard, kitchenware & glassware, bathroom essentials, and more.  As you can see, I was in heaven the moment I stepped into its flag ship store!  All I could think of for the first 5 minutes was (1) drapes, (2) pillows, (3) poufs, and (4) huge fabric upholstered chandeliers!                


Here is the store display to welcome you to the land of Marimekko fabrics: the vibrant hues and the cheerful poppy/wave/ polka dot patterns are perfect for the splashing pool party in the summer.  Or if you prefer an afternoon tea with cakes, this mod black & white + lemon yellow palette surely adds lot of whimsy to the tea party.


Speaking about inspiration for your next tea party, Marimekko also offers tea/coffee with milk and brown sugar in these oh-so-stylish black & white polka dot and stripe paper cups to enhance your shopping experience.  I should have asked if they would sell these polka dot cups!   


If you are wondering how to incorporate all these Marimekko colors and patterns into your home, well ... here is a foolproof guide with color coordinated products for your living room, kitchen, and more.  Green, blue, yellow, or red (picture gone missing ... sorry), Marimekko has certainly made it easy for us to visualize it all at a glance.   


Love the fun artwork in the store and hello gentlemen, here are some bold fashion statements for your next party!  



Yes there is a shower in the store as well.  Not that you can actually take a shower there (or can you?), there is an array of bath towels, shower curtains, bath robes, and more in every color of the rainbow for you to choose from.


And now is the time for me to show you what I brought home with me.  Don't you just love the packaging?  I DO! 


I just absolutely adore and couldn't resist the classic white and green stripe cup, this cute as a button (literally) bow tie, the stylish polka dot pillow, and a couple of soft, spa-worthy hand towels in my favourite color of the season, kelly green.  

Hope you are inspired by the Marimekko store as much as I do, and next time when you are in New York, make sure you check out its flag ship store.  

22 comments:

  1. I loved Marimekko when I was in NYC! I'm a little miffed though you got to take pictures - they wouldn't let me when I asked :(
    Oh well - I'm a huge fan of their stuff, but am still a little too timid to actually try to incorporate any of it into my space - hopefully I'll develop a little gumption soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? The staff were quite friendly the day I was there and I didn't even tell them I blog. Lucky me! I can't wait to find an occasion to wear that bow tie and love that black and white polka dot!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I'm so glad you have photos of the store! I was in NYC 2 weeks ago and kept passing by Marimekko as my hotel was nearby, but didn't have a chance to go in so I made a mental note to go during my next trip, and I forgot about that note until now! Love your purchases, especially the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is an amazing store Kim! They also have event where you can buy the fabric and they will turn it into table cloth for you! I was sadly there a week too early!

      Delete
  3. Great store profile Tim! Love all the black and white and green!!! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. ... I knew you would love this palette Amy! Just saying wink!

      Delete
  4. OMG! I would be there for hours. I just realized I don't have you on my blogroll, I'll add you now. Great seeing you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You are on mine too :)

      Hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  5. Fun, fabulous and colorful, this is definitely my kind of store! How can everyone not be inspired with all the eye candy? I was eyeing the green and white cup and a couple of things from your pictures, so glad you got the same cup!

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful store with us, Tim. I will be sure to visit this wonderful store when I get a chance to visit NY again!

    Have a good day!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Jessie! You will have to check it out when you are in the Big Apple!

      Delete
  6. So bright and cheery - love their prints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only Marimekko is in Toronto. Love all of those pillows.....so inspirational ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Crate and Barrel stores will have a small collection of marimekko's fabrics :)

      Delete
  8. We did a fabulous post on how to decorate for summer...I'd love to add those pillows into my house for sure!!! Heres our post, check it out and let us know what you think! (www.eieihome.com/blog/decorate-your-home-for-summer.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it!! so true to have linen as drapes for summer ( I actually love it so much I used them all year round ... just changing them from room to room), and you know me, I'm huge on switching up pillows, accents, and bedding for a completely different look for seasonal changes!

      The only thing I may not be able to do is plant... i'm a total plant killer and the only live plant in my house is a cactus I took back from Germany. Three came back with me 2 years ago and 2 still alive. For that I've given myself a gold star!

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with you Tim, I'm a fan of switching pillows as well i think its such a simple change but it sure has a HUGE impact!

      You are too adorable!! *HIGH 5* for not murdering your plant! Have you consider doing a vertical garden, those are much easier to handle and plus if you love to cook....you can plant herbs too! What's better than self and organic grown herbs right!!

      btw...just followed you on twitter! Can't wait to see your updates!

      Delete
  9. What a great little recap of that shop!! Looks like you died and went to heaven for a little bit...thanks for sharing (and love the items you took home with you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's too funny Heather! I totally did and do think I had gone to a much better place!! I can't wait to use these new items around the house ... maybe have been collecting too many good things :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I wish I had popped into that store when I was in NYC! Sounds like your trip was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete